Turkey trot results are at the bottom, but first, a list of things for which I am thankful on this Thanksgiving.
In no particular order:
- Begin with the obvious–running, because it is been incredibly rewarding and therapeutic for me the past 10 years, through many ups and downs. It has helped me clear my mind, battle my insecurities, improve my health, alleviate my anxiety, have fun, discover new places, meet amazing people, be a leader, learn humility, push my limits beyond what I could have imagined, feel like a part of something bigger… the list goes on…
Now that I’m all emotional…
- That I am not allergic to peanuts, or any other nuts
- My husband, who ran one marathon with me, but has accompanied to many others and so amazingly supportive of this crazy journey I am on and even showed me his new workout program at the gym yesterday:
- Vega All in One Chocolate and PB2
- Relatedly, sweetgreen
- My dog, for a multitude of reasons, including the fact that he makes me take him for walks even on days when I was to be totally immobile, and despite the fact that he isn’t much of a running buddy
- My parents, who have also accompanied me to several races even though they think I’m silly for running marathons (“Can’t you just run HALF marathons?”)
- Reformer pilates, because it helps keeps me strong and healthy and because it feels so goshdarn good even if it costs an an ab and a glute (that’s a fitness joke)
- Nike Epic Run shorts, because I don’t have thigh gap and these shorts prevent serious chafing
- Adidas Ultraboost shoes
- Being able to run to work
- My health and the health of my friends and family—HUGE AMOUNTS OF THANKFULNESS
- Vegetarian Thanksgiving food
- Having another holiday season with my decidedly non-marathoning, non-vegetarian, feisty, high maintenance, but very special grandmother
- Relatedly, sandtart cookies, corn pudding, and mashed potatoes
- My niece, because I don’t generally like babies but this one is different
- The amazing weather I’ve had this training cycle (including this morning, pictured above) (see earlier posts for weeks t-minus 10, t-minus 9, t-minus 8, and t-minus 7)
- My 22:39 PR this morning at the turkey trot!!! Not quite 7 min/mile (more like 7:17) but I’ll take it!
What are you thankful for? Do you love this holiday as much as I do?