Week eight of training for the Vermont City Marathon is here! Well, it just passed, actually. TAPER TIME. (Should I create a video re-doing the Hammertime video as Tapertime? Probably. Maybe it’s been done before?) In addition to getting in some last-minute training, this week I also picked back up the old My Fitness Pal app to see if I can start shedding some of this weight that’s slowing me down.
- Decided to go for a little pre-work run, and ended up with about 4 miles. Then I went to the work gym for a little lift. I focused on heavy deadlifts and luckily didn’t break myself.
- 4 mile run + Orangetheory. I was running late for OTF so I really needed to hustle there. But my legs were so tired and my backpack felt so heavy! Somehow I made it. Class was tough — I wasn’t able to run as fast as I’d like — but per usual it was a really good workout.
- Rest day.
- The PLAN was to head out for my 20 miler. I prepped by packing two Mamma Chia pouches. Unfortunately, at only 80 calories each, they were woefully small to fuel a run, especially after sticking to my calorie restriction on Wednesday (aka no late night snacking). I ended up doing 11 miles. When I got to work, my stomach was growling so audibly that a co-worker commented on it. Lesson learned.
- After my 11 miler on Thursday, I knew that getting in 20 miles on Friday was unlikely. But I wanted to get in some extra miles, even if the full 20 wasn’t in the cards. So I headed out Friday morning. My legs felt dead but I did 9 superslow miles. That totals 20 in two days and is just going to have to me enough.
- Rest day visiting family. I knew I was going to eat some goodies, so I took the dog on a nice walk in the morning. So much for that My Fitness Pal streak…
- Another rest day with family. We did hit a few balls at the driving range though. Since I started using my core, my drives have gotten a lot longer. Very satisfying.
Now the plan is to just take it easy, watch my eating so I can keep building on my progress this past week, and get lots of sleep.
What do you like to do during your taper? Yoga and stretching? Massage? Swimming? Last-minute running workouts?