Goals for This Past Week:
- Make it to Orangetheory one morning
- Get to the regular gym twice (which I pay for but so rarely use)
- Complete my long run over the weekend
- Continue with No Sugar November, but with no trips the vending machine or pizza place (i.e., bring enough good snacks to work to get me through the day)
So, how did I do?…
Not perfect but not bad!
- Make it to Orangetheory one morning–DONE TWICE!
- Get to the regular gym twice (which I pay for but so rarely use)–Eh, only made it once.
- Complete my long run over the weekend–DONE!
- Continue with No Sugar November, but with no trips the vending machine or pizza place (i.e., bring enough good snacks to work to get me through the day)–Not really; see below.
Monday: Short jog to work, plus a quick lift (squats and deadlifts 30-70 lbs) and 1/3 mile sprint (6:49 pace) at the gym
- NSN Day 9: Had pizza for dinner and Goldfish for a snack (which is weird because I usually am not interested in crackers), but passed on the Taylor Gourmet lemon cookies that were available in the office kitchen. I noticed that I ate a lot of fat on Monday–whole fat yogurt, lots of nuts, plus the pizza. Not a criticism, just an observation.
Tuesday: Short jog to work. Considered yoga in the evening but watched Project Runway on the DVR instead.
- NSN Day 10: Victory over the pizza. Going strong. Are desserts even a thing?
Wednesday: Orangetheory power day (the perfect interval workout)
- NSN Day 11: This was a good day! No sweet treats and no cravings. When I got a little hungry in the afternoon, I got a decaf coffee and put in a little soy milk. Then for dinner I met up with some friends at Beefsteak. I wish I had taken a photo of my creation, but my phone was totally full of the wedding photos I had just downloaded.
Thursday: Orangetheory mix day (including incline runs, which I’m counting as a hill workout). I noticed that I spent a lot of blue zone during this workout (most likely during the floor section; I was really pushing it on the treadmill). I asked the trainer about it, and she said that as long as I was getting at least the minimum number of splat points (which I did), I shouldn’t be too worried.
- NSN Day 12: Said “no” to some mini-pies at work. TBH, they didn’t look THAT great anyway.
Friday: Reformer pilates. Felt so good!
- NSN Day 13: Nothing notable. Didn’t eat any desserts.
Saturday: Rest day
- NSN Day 14: I decided to quit NSN on Saturday. For a few reasons. Mainly, (1) a chocolate covered mini-pretzel is not going to kill me, or make me gain weight, and I like it. But also, (2) I like a sweet treat once in a while, but I don’t think I’m “addicted” to sugar like the news always warns about; if it’s not running my life, then maybe me and sugar are OK? And (3) I was using NSN as an excuse to eat whatever I wanted, as long as it wasn’t dessert. This all just is a good reminder that we should eat what satisfies us and enjoy it and get the full experience from it and be mindful of that satisfaction. I also had a lentil sandwich:
Sunday: 14 mile run. I did a 1 mile very light warmup, and then did a test 5K on the National Mall (this was originally planned for next week but I got my weeks mixed up–oh well!). I chose the Mall because there are few stoplights, but I was literally yelling at tourists on their cell phones “Heads up!” Sorry, tourists! Running faster than my usual training speed and without the guide of the treadmill felt very odd. I had trouble finding my pace and my breath. I ended up with an average 7:29/mile pace, which is a bit slower than I am hoping for at the Turkey Trot. I am planning to do a 1 mile run at that pace sometime during the week to try to get my body more comfortable with it. I did 10 slow miles after my test 5K. Lovely weather!
Goals for Next Week:
- 15 mile long run
- Run at least 1 mile at 7:00/mile pace
- Eat extra clean so I don’t feel weighed down for the Turkey Trot, but if that means a bite or two of sugar, oh well!
- Make time for a massage and/or serious foam rolling; the hips are feeling TIGHT
How was your week? Anyone still on No Sugar November? Anyone judging me for quitting? Anyone else training for a winter marathon?